Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Chilblains

a million years ago
when I was young
I'd read lots of books
and sometimes
I didn't fully understand
every word

chilblains
had no idea

until one winter
plagued by
strangely infected fingers and toes
I actually
went to a doctor

the verdict
no infections
--chilblains--
actually a form of frostbite

makes cleaning the freezer
an experience that lasts
at least
until my fingers return
to their normal size

so today
after tremping, yesterday
in the freezing cold
only the pool, steamroom and sauna
brought my extremities
back to life this morning

so I went shopping
for warm boots
with a friend
of uninhibited taste
and common sense
who found me boots

what must be
the latest style for the under 15's
the under 20's
and maybe a little older than that

I may be the
oldest wearing them
but I'm also the oldest trempistit on the roads

and
most important
they are
warm

thanks darling

No comments: