Friday, November 05, 2004

on being a woman


Yesterday, at the tail end of the memorial ceremony by Rachella's grave, a bus load of Israel supporters from abroad joined us. Many were women. Some of us got to talking. one said that she had had a conversation a while ago with a woman who explained that she couldn't be religious because of the morning blessing that a man says: "thank you for not making me a woman." we all snickered, since we women know that we can do lots more than men, and therefore our parallel blessing is "thanks for making me according to your will." We joked about our abilities to multi-task, which men can't do and can't comprehend.
Later, I went to a shiur and did my needlepoint, took notes, read the English, listened to the Hebrew and of course fully participated in Hebrew, giving my unique opinions, and my mind was miles away of course.

great being a woman

No comments: