Friday, October 21, 2005

getting into shape

I've been trying to "get into shape," ok, that's a bit too impossible, "getting fit" may be better, for the Od Avihu Chai March to Jerusalem.

I did some walking in Jerusalem yesterday, to see if my shoes would be suitable. I walked from the bus station to the Begin Center, which is near the old train station. Later on at night, I walked back from the King Solomon Hotel, in between the Begin Center and the King David, to the bus station. The night walk was easier, no sun, and I really picked up the pace. It's well over two kilometers, if I'm not mistaken. Of course next Sunday's walk is much longer.

I didn't even feel strained, but then again, I walk twice around my neighborhood a few times a week which is a similar distance.

The problem will be schlepping water and spare shoes or sandals, if I need to change shoes. The water's the big problem. It's not good to eat when doing heavy exercise, just drink, and water is so heavy, and toilets so rare and inconvenient.

Luckily there was an article in the NY Times about drinking and exercizing, more specifically marathon running--close enough. It's a warning that too much water is dangerous. I highly doubt that I could ever reach that situation, but I really shouldn't carry those heavy bottles. I hope that I can keep the big bottle in the bus and just refill the small one. We will be bussed part of the way.

I also don't want to be in the sun so much, but what can I do, besides long skirt, sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat?

And just a reminder, if you'd like to join us or cheer from the side-lines here are the details.

No comments: