Saturday, October 22, 2005

"it"

There's no "it" in Hebrew. All words and objects are either male or female, at least linguistically.

When I have to try to explain the concept to my students I tell the guys--they're teenage boys--that "it" is Dana International, the guy, Yaron Cohen, who had major surgery, castrated and then lots of silicon in certain places and takes tons of female hormones and pretends that he's a woman.

He's an Israeli performer and is the last Israeli to have won the Eurovision song contest. Tonight was a big 50 years of Eurovison show on TV, and he was one of the featured performers. Yes, he performs like all the drag queens, parodies women.

And this is less than a week after my once-favorite TV show, CSI, had an episode about those poor things called "trans-gender."

I used to love the show and bring episodes in to show my students. I can't even think of it recently. I wouldn't dare. They've become so perverse.

No comments: