Thursday, October 06, 2005

public pregnancy

It's so funny. When I was growing up, pregnancy was something to be hushed up, like divorce and cancer, "l'havdil," though they're all so different. We never saw a pregnant teacher. As I understood they weren't allowed to teach "once they showed."

Old maternity clothes were big and boxy, so nobody would notice the belly button popping up, like a full balloon. Even when I was pregnant with my older kids, we were expected to have swollen veins and restricted lives. One thing I didn't mind was getting a seat on the bus. I was disappointed that my belly didn't show enough for people to get up.

Now pregnancy is different. Strange, I don't think women have evolved, it must be society. Certainly since Demi Moore posed in her "altogether for two," things have changed.

And now, a female action star is going to "spy for two" according to the New York Times. "Alias"* (*thanks, Esther for the correction) star, Jennifer Garner, is pregnant. I admit that I've never seen the show; nor can I pick her out of a line-up. But I'm glad that pregnancy is "in." I think it's wonderful that successful women are having kids.

But I wonder if she'll have trouble leaving her baby to go back to work.

3 comments:

wendy said...

Pregnancy does seem to be "in" but I'm glad I'm not in that cool group! A couple years ago I faithfully watched Good Morning America each day. One of the news ladies was pregnant, then gone about 3 days, then back doing the news. I felt a little sad that she didn't even spend a whole week home cuddling her babe. But she probably was able to bring the baby to work with her.

Esther said...

Actually, the show is called "Alias." But I'm sure it seems alien to many...it's a wild show. She's already showing on the show, though the character is not supposed to be as far along as the actress actually is.

Batya said...

Wendy, isn't it amazing how some women act like having a baby doesn't need physical recovery and then hardly spend time with their baby?

Esther, thanks for the correction; I'll fix it.
I guess the star "surprised" her bosses.