Wednesday, December 21, 2005

New York nuts?

I'm getting a bit nervous here about my proposed visit to New York in January for the Ben Zakkai Dinner. What's making me nervous is the weather. I haven't been in NY during the winter since 69-70. The following summer my husband and I moved to Israel. I've visited a few times in the past thirty-five years, but only in the summer!

Has anyone checked weather forecasts for mid-January? Better yet, don't tell me. Just please advise me what to bring. Besides boots and a hat to cover my ears and maybe arctic thermal gloves, what else?

4 comments:

Esther said...

Um, the first winter I moved back ('96) to NY, there were 9 blizzards. I'm guessing I'm not helping. ;)

wendy said...

A scarf. It makes all the difference in the wind and cold.

Batya said...

Esther, please! That's all I need. And now they have a transit strike.

Wendy, thanks, you're right. I remember as a kid going with a scarf over my nose and mouth.

Moze said...

Layers. Lots of layers. Outside you'll be cold, inside everyone has the heat on too high. A silk camisole, a cotton shirt, a wool sweater (alpaca's even better). A slip under your skirt, or even better, michnasei chatzait under your skirt. Tights and socks. A dubon, scarf, and gloves. Maybe even a thin silk or wool cap for under your hat, or a hood for over it.

You'll be lucky if it snows--then it will warm up a little. NY has grown colder since I moved out, and going back for visits turns me into the Michelin Man.