Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Seniors

I'm not referring to kids in their last year of high school or college, called seniors in the states.

I'm referring to "senior citizens." Today I was privileged to speak to the "Senior Club" in Beit El. It was established and run by my friend Debbie Klaff Dan. We were national officers together in NCSY when our parents were younger than we are today. Debbie and family (her husband is the famous "Herby's Bakery") moved to Beit El a number of years ago, and her mother joined them. That was the impetus for her to organize activities for the "seniors" there.

I had been hearing about the activities for years, and a few weeks ago Debbie asked me to speak to her group. I'm in Beit El for work three afternoons a week, so it wasn't difficult for me to come early and meet them.

First of all they're in a lovely building, with a nice meeting room and a small kitchen and offices. I didn't get a full tour, since the volunteer secretary is a good friend, too, and we were so excited to have a chance to chat before I spoke.

The group is old, and most have some "restriction," but most were alert and interested in my talk. I introduced myself by telling stories about what Debbie and I had done together when we were young, like dance down Fifth Avenue in the Salute to Israel Parade and dance in the Israeli Folk Dance Festival. Yes, we used to dance a lot.

Then I discussed the political situation and the upcoming elections. There were lots of questions and participation. I was very impressed by them and the whole set-up Debbie has organized.

I spoke Hebrew and English "simultaneously." I kept switching languages, sentence by sentence, since I didn't want them to get bored and lose interest if they only knew one of the languages. I also challenged the bi-linguals to catch me if I missed something.

They even asked me back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Who is this -- Beth? Figured I'd look you all up, and found this doing a search for Debbie. Can I get your e-address?

Leah (Mandel) Lipszyc
Crimea!!!

Batya said...

that's great!