Tuesday, December 06, 2005

To Baile Rochel From Malka Mishmash

Baile Rochel,

I, too, do handwork. Some time ago, packing for a trip to Israel, I cut enough wool for my needlepoint to be done on the flight, and packed the scissors into my suitcase to be checked. I placed the plastic bag with my partially embroidered canvas into my carryon bag.

Got to the airport, went through the x-ray machine, was asked to open my bag for a search, and, lo, and behold, there was another identical pair of scissors among the wools! I was asked to remove it and hand it in- my very special scissors that is used in hospitals - given me by a friend.

Before saying 'goodby' to my loyal instrument I looked at it fondly and noticed a marking on it - made in Pakistan! This was shortly after 9/11 and I had something made in Pakistan! Quickly, I placed it in the bin with the other no-nos - glad to assign it to another location - lest I be questioned as to how I had acquired it.
Whew! Safe! At least I could embroider on the flight and have my other pair of scissors at my destination.

Got on the plane, found my seat, buckled up, took out my needle-point and ------------the next thing that I knew we were in the clouds! The trip was wonderful --smooth, uneventful, and I slept for most of the trip, except for mealtime.

PS I could have packed the needlepoint into my checked suitcase with both pairs of scissors because I never got to do even one stitch!

Signed,
Malka Mishmash

No comments: