Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Power of the Blog

There are blogs with readership that compete with magazines and newspapers. OK, I admit that none of mine are in that mega status.

Even The New York Times wrote about it. They, along with other large--mega--mainstream media, even "track" their articles and list the blogs which link them(mention them using the access link). When I write about an article (including its link of course for easy reference) from the Times or Newsweek, I frequently find those elite publications listed as "referrers." That means, that when I check how many, who and how people have "visited" my blogs, I can see that they were referred by The New York Times, for example.

The Jerusalem Post and other newspapers even have a blog section in its internet edition. A few favored bloggers are considered as honored columnists. I presume that this is going on in newspapers all over the world.

Back to that NY Times article, they feel that it was the power of the blogging which helped convince the publisher, Little, Brown, to recall Kaavya Viswanathan's controversial book "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life" because of plagiarism.

It's hard to keep a secret nowadays.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your interesting blog at Blog d'Ellison, Atlanta. I've been reading MeAnder for months and enjoy it so much. Someone referred the the blogworld as being a community all of it's own...I have to agree.

Batya said...

thanks

Yes, bloggers are a community. Are you in Altanta? We have family there.

Anonymous said...

No, I don't live in Atlanta. I live two hours north of the city in the mountains near the N. carolina state line.

Batya said...

I've never been that far south.