Thursday, June 15, 2006

Busy Fingers

It's either the keyboard or the crochet hook. Yes, that's how I keep my fingers busy. Neither cleaning nor cooking. Yes, there's food in my house, but I don't do the heavy cooking daily. I like to cook all the meat and poultry when I cook for Shabbat on Thursday and Friday. It works for us.

My teaching job is in the afternoon/evening, and there are times I get home too late to cook from scratch, so it's really good to have things to heat up.

About the crocheting, I'm having fun doing it, but I only know how to crochet hats. Besides the ones I've made for myself, my daughters and friends, I also made a "reggae" hat for one son and almost finished another for the other one. I'm "always" crocheting, and I think people think I'm crazy and maybe even rude, but it helps me concentrate and stay awake. It's hard to believe that it's barely a year since I started crocheting hats.

Last summer when I went to the states I was working on the first one, which I gave to my daughter. I generally have two or three going on at the same time. There's always yarn waiting for me, and it helps me hurry just thinking about the new project. Like now, I have this gorgeous, and not cheap, yarn I bought for a hat for myself. Now I'm working on the one I was drooling over before.

G-d willing I'll finally get myself a digital camera, and then I'll be able to take pictures and show you my progress, like Moze. But don't worry, I'll still write about all sorts of other things.

And remember: It's better than eating!!

6 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

what about kippot? do you crochet those? it's a smaller stitch so takes longer but that might also be more difficult!

Batya said...

I used to, but they're too small and tough on the eyes, and nobody liked what I made.

Sarah Likes Green said...

yeh, not so good for the eyes! stick to the bigger hats :)

Batya said...

exactamente

fun and fast

Wormie said...

Me too!!
Either the keyboard or the crochet hook! If I could figure out how to crochet and type at the same time I'd be set!!!!
And my hubby does most of the cooking - I'm very lucky.

If you want to expand your crocheting beyond hats - there is a LOT you can do. Check out www.crochetpatterncentral.com It's a GREAT site for patterns. :)

Hope you get that camera so you can show us your work.

Batya said...

and then I have to learn how to use the camera so it's more than a toy

My rule for crocheting is that it should be small enough to carry around easily. My daughter wants me to crochet for her little girls, but I really only know how to crochet a circle and don't know the names of the stitches.