Wednesday, August 30, 2006

For the first time....

... in 36 years----
I had a "real" haircut! Well, it was sort of, "ki'eelu," as we say in Hebrew.

I cover my hair, as you can see in the profile picture and others. And I've been married for 36 years, so it doesn't pay for me to invest in my hair. It's neither an accessory nor decoration.

The day I got married, in June, 1970, I had my hair trimmed in a local beauty parlor, and since then, until this summer, I just trimmed it myself. It never mattered if the cut was uneven.

But this summer, not only was the heat getting to me, but I couldn't stand the metal barrette holding it together under the hats and scarves. So I decided to have it cut. The only problem was that the neighbor who was doing it professionally closed down her "shop." So a friend volunteered, and then I trimmed it until I was satisfied.

It grew out quickly, cutely peeking out, but I don't want "cute hair." So I took my neighbor's recommendation at today----

I went to a "sort of" beauty parlor. I went to a hair-dressing school, where for NS35- I had a supervised haircut by a student. For the big $8- it cost, it's fine. Maybe it's not exactly what I wanted, but who cares? Not me. As long as I can shove it under my hat.

Now off to the pool. Only three swimming days left, including tonight.

No comments: