Saturday, August 05, 2006

quick note before Shabbat

I'm in New Rochelle, again for shabbat.

Spent Tisha B'Av in Great Neck, went to the Great Neck Synagogue for some of the day. I'll be writing more about it, probably on shiloh musings; so stay tuned. Keep checking in there. It is such a totally different community from the place I once new. Also the shul itself has changed. they just keep adding more and more rooms. I was Rip van winkle again.

That place was once my second home, and there I was wandering around lost. I didn't know anyone, and nobody knew me, at least by site. The lovely woman who drove me to my parents' home knew me once she heard my name, and afterwards I remembered them, too. But it's not that they lived there when I did.

This month is 36 years since I and my husband made aliyah as newly weds. Next week, G-d willing, I'll be on a plane with some brave new immigrants on a Nefesh B'Nefesh flight.

I traveled this way last summer too, as a journalist, witnessing miracles. It was very thrilling, and I'm sure that this year will be even more so.

The enthusiasm of the the olim chadashim is totally contagious. I truly enjoyed meeting everyone and can't wait to do it this year again.

If any of you reading this will be on the plane, please look for me, or if you know anyone who will, please tell them to look for me.

Wow! There sure wasn't anything like this 36 years ago!

No comments: