Saturday, August 19, 2006

Steaming



Not from anger, it's just hot here. I wonder if it's really getting hotter, or just age, but that can't be, since even younger people complain about the heat.

My kids are after us to get one of those air conditioner-heaters. They claim that our heater, one of those oil-filled radiators, doesn't heat the house. I'm happy with it. I put it on a timer, and it goes on before I come home, and I use another in my room for just a few hours. When everyone comes to visit, we add a few more in the bedrooms, but just having extra people makes the house warmer. Strange, they don't agree with me.

Of course people also make the house hotter in the summer, which can make us rather anti-social... you don't believe that, do you?

I think that people just have less tolerance for warmer and colder weather here in Israel, since more and more people and public buildings use heating and cooling systems, not just a fan or two, or some small heaters, systems.

For years we didn't have any fans, and it wasn't so bad. Now we have two going on in the livingroom, and nothing here in the den, and I'm dehydrating from typing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting older makes us forget what kind of a/c we had as kids! None!

Open the windows when it's cool outside, then close them when it's hot and shut the blinds.

I remember my Grandma's house without any a/c in Madera, California...normal temps were 105 degrees during the summer months.

Then they splurged and bought a window water cooler that made lots of noise. After the summer was over the outer part of the cooler was greenish with mold.

Cars didn't have a/c...we rolled down the windows.

Didn't seem to bother me then...how about you?

Batya said...

When it was really hot, we kids slept on the lenolium floor, cooler than wood or carpet.