Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Last day!

This is the last day of my summer vacation, and I shouldn't complain, since according to the original schedule, I was supposed to be back in that "saddle" a week and a half ago. Even though we're not in the "war zone," it was the "Spin War," that recent war in the north of Israel that caused the postponement. The dorms of the Yeshiva High School Mateh Binyamin in Beit El were used by those fleeing their bombed homes, and many teachers were called to the reserves, including the Rosh Yeshiva. The new trend here is lots of hikes and trips to "meld" a strong group, so they gave the boys a two-day one, and considering that Wednesday is my day off... so tomorrow I face the little darlings for the first time in three months.

Let's see how much English they remember, and let's see how long it takes me to learn all their names!

I see that nobody took up the challenge of guessing where this picture is. One hint--It's not in Israel.

Yesterday, I went to Jerusalem, had some pictures printed from a few cd's I had "burned" from the digital camera. Is that how you say it? I've been going to the store where I bought it, rather than my old "favorite" photo place. I was in a big rush and they did a good and fast job. I did them in triplicate, so I'd have enough for my own album, special "New Year's Cards" and for my sons to give out.

I bought a package of colored "bristol," which is sort of like a slightly thinner "oaktag" I remember from my youth. The plan was to have my granddaughters, Hallelie and Porat draw their "pictures" and then I'd past a picture of them on the "cards" which would be for various relatives in the states.

That was the big rush. I had to get to Ofra to pick up the girls. It was the first "full day" of gan, nursery school, for Hallelie. I really didn't have to get there early, since it's not like the day care center with a 20 minute release time. At gan they are busy until the very end, so I had to wait. But she knew I was there, and she preferred sitting with the other kids and watching the "show" which was on.

But by the time she was willing to go with me, she was so exhausted I had to carry her almost the whole way home. After she drank juice and ate two omelets, we picked up Porat, who had just fallen asleep. She slept very deeply, since she didn't awaken when I transferred her to the stroller and then carried her up the stairs and put her in bed.

Hallelie also fell asleep, so the drawing was later, and I came home with lots of pictures to use as cards from them.

Today I got up early! And now I have to get ready to go to the Neve Yaakov pool.

I'll also try to see if there are any clothes on sale for the girls for next summer. Somehow I missed it this year.

And what will I do with my students tomorrow? I haven't yet decided. Bad teacher! But don't worry, I'll come up with something.

6 comments:

Pragmatician said...

Burning cd's is the correct term!
As far as the students are concerned, depending on their age you could teach the same thing you did last year.
Less work for you:)

Anonymous said...

I teach GED, reading and essay writing, to state prison inmates. The hardest part of my job is to maintain energy and enthusiasm.

Regardless of student's age, it's so important to keep lessons interesting...don't you agree?

Batya said...

Prag, thanks, good to know I'm catching on to the lingo. But you should know that I never use old lessons. Somehow just doesn't feel right.

Vicki, you're right, must get that energy back. It does return, like going on stage.

Sarah Likes Green said...

good luck for the new school year!

wendy said...

What sweet little ones you have. I hope your first day of school was great!

Batya said...

Thanks, I'm amazed that it went OK. I'll have to blog it.