Monday, December 25, 2006

One of those days

It was one of "those" days, yes, yesterday was.

I must admit that it started well, with a quick and easy posting of , and then I rushed down to catch "whatever" to Jerusalem. For some peculiar reason I rushed, even though I keep saying that it doesn't pay to rush, and I didn't know when the next bus to Jerusalem was expected. I was counting on "Siyata D'Shmaya (G-d's help)" certainly more reliable than the Egged bus company. As I got closer, I saw a bus, but I had no idea of which direction it was heading, and then suddenly another one. Now, there are only two directions-- to Ariel and to Jerusalem. So, if there are two buses, one should be to Jerusalem, and the second one was!

It looked like my lucky day!

In Jerusalem I decided to be "smart" and take the express shuttle, the #5, to the Malcha Mall. We had won a ns30 free for "Toys R Us," and the only branch I could get to is there. "Smart" was pretty dumb, since no bus came, even though the number was on the sign. I passed up the long, windy #6 and waited and waited and waited and took a few pictures.

It seems like the street by the Jerusalem Central Bus Station is beginning to resemble in sight, sound and smells, the old Tel Aviv Central Bus Station. There's one big difference. In Jerusalem the food places are all kosher.




I finally took the next #6, a good 40 minutes later, which was peculiar since every other line came at least 5 times! So the day was looking "less good."

On to the mall! In a worker told me that I should show the "money magnet" when paying, and I'll get ns30 off, so I went searching for something worth buying. I finally did and there I was told that the offer had expired, so I told them that I wasn't buying anything and that they were a bunch of cheats, since there was no expiration date on the magnet.

I found things to buy in other stores and then decided, though I was starving, to rush back to catch the 2:15 to Shiloh. Note that I didn't say "home," since the bus goes to Shiloh and not to my neighborhood.




Time was short and I kept debating on whether or not to run for it or continue to town, buy some food and then "hitch" home. Against my better judgment I found myself getting off the bus and running for the 2:15. Great luck, it hadn't left yet. Not so great, it hadn't even arrived and dozens were waiting for it. And we waited and waited and waited. I was starving but sure that if I went for a sandwich I'd miss it. So I waited. My friend and I spoke to the "sadranim," the guys in charge of scheduling. They promised it would come soon, delayed because of roadwork, and I'd be risking it if I went for food.

So I waited, and I was the first in the bus, which was so crowded that people were sitting on the floor!

Finally we were in Shiloh and starving and tired I began trudging up the hill. A little car stopped, and there was one seat. My neighbor told me to get in. "Age before beauty!" I didn't argue. I sat down, without even looking at the driver; I was that desperate. Suddenly I heard a familiar voice! It was one of my former students! What a treat, and he took me straight to my house!

I ate and then a friend came over to see "The Sting," and later we went down to pay a shiva call.

No comments: