Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Attacked! The strangest thing

The past couple of days I keep finding ads, as comments, on one particular post. So I have to keep deleting them. I have no idea why they davka keep picking that post to attack. It's not like it's a particularly popular one.

Another strange thing, on a completely different track is that since Sunday's fast, I've had more energy. I'm not as tired at night and have been going to bed later. It happens sometimes after fasting, since fasting is a cleansing of the body. What seems ironic, is that I felt awful that day, freezing cold, and a spot on my back hurt terribly. I just sat around and did nothing. It was rainy, and if felt like night all day, sort of like flying from here to NY on the midnight flight.

My dislocated shoulder is starting to feel better. I can even reach for things without always feeling that sharp pain, Baruch Hashem, bli eyin haraa. My doctor told me to just be patient, since it was healing on its own. My brother-in-law the chiropractor warned that it would take months. Yes, it has. I hope to resume basketball in another month, G-d willing. My basic treatment was just to avoid anything that caused pain, since pain meant strain, and strain means that it's being injured/stressed.

Many, many years ago, when I don't remember who used to send us Prevention Magazine, I remember reading an article about how someone cured him/herself of back problems. The method is very simple:

Do as much as possible, except when the movement causes dangerous sharp pain. With time, movement expands and strength returns. Pain is a warning.
That's how I've handled all sorts of "injuries" ever since. For some people, the hard part is distinguishing between good and bad pain. Forget about no pain no gain; it's not true. When you're really stimulating a muscle, there's a "burning" sensation, which is good, but it's very different from the sharp pain which must be avoided. And it's always important not to overdo it.

I have to get ready to go to the pool. When my shoulder was really sore I couldn't even do a lot of simple movements in the warm water. Yes, very frightening.

No comments: