Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"bus business"

I'm in an email discussion group on Jewish topics.  A big one recently is the new bus lines here in Israel. The buses are segregated; women in the back, like negroes in the old south. 
It has branched into a discussion about chareidim and how they relate to women.
Here's something I wrote about it.

All this correspondence on the thread of "ladies in the back--where there are less seats--buses" has finally enlightened me why, when there are crowds to get into buses and other treasures, the people who push into me the most are chareidi men.  Yes, it's true, and apparently the reason is that since they "don't look at females" they just consider me invisible.  That's why they push into me and the other women.

I'm serious, and I wonder how many others who have been writing so enthusiastically on the topic actually travel on buses, especially here in Israel.  Being "carless," (sans car,) I'm an expert.  I'm also old enough to no longer be surprised when people get up and give me their seats.  Lots of people graciously do.  Females of all ages, "persuasions" and dress codes and most men, even some Arabs on Jerusalem lines like the 6.  The only group which never has, unless my advanced age caused some senility, happens to be chareidi males.

That's a first person report from the front line.



Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.

No comments: