Tuesday, February 27, 2007

an "insulting compliment"

It happened yesterday when I was walking in the rain from the yeshiva high school where I teach to the bus stop where I can get rides to Ofra and home. It's a good few minutes' walk, so when a young woman offered me a ride, I readily thanked her and got in the car. She said:

"I remember when I was pregnant how even a short lift was helpful."

Oops!
Now, did she think I'm pregnant? Am I that fat?
That's an insult!

But if she thought I'm pregnant, then she thinks I'm young enough to be pregnant.
Ahhhhhhhh...
...to be thought of as that young... is a compliment!

2 comments:

The Babka Nosher said...

As Monty Python would say "Always look on the bright side of life!" I had someone say that to me about 10 years ago... I threw out the outfit when I came home!

Batya said...

I can't do much about my winter jacket! But considering my real age, being thought pregnant isn't bad. My parents always had to show proof the first decade to get their senior discounts, and I'm getting closer.