Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sorry, couldn't take a picture

Why is the sky always most fascinating on Shabbat when it's forbidden to photograph?

Could it be a general lesson that G-d gives to remind us to internalize His creations, rather than than collect material possessions?

On Friday, the weather was uniquely "spring in the mountains of the Holy Land." That's my "polite" way of saying dirty yellow, like in sand storms. When I want to be honest about the weather here, I say that true spring in Jerusalem and "gav hahar," the mountain range from Hebron to Shechem, is ugly. It's not like Europe, North America and beautiful poems. Yes, there are lovely wild flowers and more cultivated color, but there are also sandstorms, and they're not pleasant.

Our mountains skirt the desert, which is the source of the sand. As long as you don't have laundry trying to dry outside, freshly cleaned windows or have to take a long walk, it's possible to see some beauty in the yellow light. I was mesmerized by the way the setting sun hit our water tower. The sky was golden yellow, like my favorite "white wine."

None of this resembled anything I saw in my Long Island youth. I wonder if the camera could even capture it accurately.

Shavua Tov
Have a wonderful week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you can probably tell from the angle of the shots where I live :)

One of the things I love about the winter sky is the character the clouds lend to the scenery. Summer light tends to be flat.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Kmelion/Sunrise.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Kmelion/birds1.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Kmelion/sunrise.jpg

I also have a couple of slideshows up on yideoz.com if you're interested.

Batya said...

Super fantastic pictures!