Wednesday, June 06, 2007

almost lost--or losing focus

Yesterday, after work, I went to Jerusalem and saw my kids, 4/5, including the two visiting.

My ride from Beit El was like hanging onto the tail of a speeding horse. It was one of those cheap vehicles, two-doors, so getting into the backseat is not good for my knee. The seatbelt was caught, so I couldn't use it. The road out of Beit El was not really "planned," so it's no pleasure even in the best of vehicles.

The driver was hyper for sure. He used his phone and demonstrated to the Ethiopian in the front seat how he can dance with his shoulders, like they do. The ride didn't calm down until we got to Jerusalem, safely, Baruch Hashem.

I had a nice, though too short, visit with my kids, and then I went to the bus station to catch the only bus a day which takes me all the way to my house.

I got to the bus station on time. Yes, it did help to take a bus, since I was carrying too much. How could I resist the gorgeous apricots at the peak of their too short season? I organized my bags and passed the metal inspection. Then I put the bags through the X-ray "movable table." Just as I was about to get them, a couple of little kids started pushing me and grabbing. I told them to stop and yelled at their mother, who was just standing there. I grabbed my stuff and rushed up to the bus.

The bus had already arrived, but the driver must have been taking a break, since it was locked. I waited; then as I was telling my husband on the phone that I'd be on the bus, I suddenly realized that one of my bags wasn't with me.

I quickly ran down all the flights of stairs, bad for the knee--why didn't I take the elevator! I got to the X-ray, and there it was, on the side, my bag! The woman manning the machine saw me, and we smiled at each other as I took it. Then I ran to the elevator, up to "departures" and just caught the bus!

Baruch Hashem!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boruch hashem! in yiddish we'd say
"Opgekumen mit shrek"

Anonymous said...

Close call.

Always exciting in Jerusalem.

Batya said...

Yes, BARUCH HASHEM!
I was so sure that the bag was gone and that I'd miss my bus.

In the end BARUCH HASHEM!