Friday, August 24, 2007

Falling Asleep

That should be as easily done as said, but most of us have trouble, at least some of the time.

This Newsweek article has some good points.

For some reason, I suffered less from jetlag this year than usual. I think that my late night arrival after an indescribably looong day, traveling west to New York, was good. I went to bed at a normal-late time and was so exhausted that I slept. After returning back east to Israel, it also took me less time to get on track. Or am I just getting to a stage in life when I need so much sleep that I just collapse into a deep sleep more easily?

Here are a few things that help me:

  • being physically active during the day
  • getting up early in the morning, no matter when I went to sleep
  • no caffeine from afternoon onwards, best just in the morning
  • the same music every night, which will go off automatically
  • not panicking if I can't sleep; just get up and either sleep on the couch or have some oatmeal (w/o sugar,) do something boring for awhile and then try again

No comments: