Saturday, September 29, 2007

"Almost Like Being in Love"


When I was in the states I mentioned to a cousin and his friend that I buy movies on DVD and I'd really like "Brigadoon."

Guess what my parents brought me! A present from that cousin, "Brigadoon!" What a lovely movie. Nothing beats those old musicals. The dancing is better than I remembered it, and so is the story.
And coincidentally, what word did the "word a day" service just send, Brigadoon, what else could it be?
This week's theme: toponyms -- words derived from the names of places.
brigadoon (BRIG-uh-doon) noun
An idyllic place that is out of touch with reality or one that makes its appearance for a brief period in a long time.
From Brigadoon, a village in the musical of the same name, by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe, based on the story Germelshausen by Friedrich Gerstacker. Brigadoon is under a spell that makes it invisible to outsiders except on one day every 100 years.

4 comments:

JJ said...

I am a huge fan of movie musicals but have only seen "Brigadoon" once. It was great, and I especially remember the song-and-dance number "Go Home to Bonnie Jean" (I think those are the words)

Batya said...

yes, rr, that's some song

call me "corny," but nothing beats 'em

BubbyT said...

I'm reading this after Shabbat Breishit so mazal tov on the new grandson...I LOVE Brigadoon...I saw it in the theater...it's one of the best..enjoy it and thanks for reminding me about it..!!

Batya said...

thanks so much

The music is a part of my childhood. I adore musicals.