Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sue 'em!

This New York Times article, from which I borrowed the illustrations, laments the lowering of conditions for ordinary airline travelers.

I have little experience on American domestic flights. Luckily, my parents are in New York, so I just splurge on El Al direct flights, which are bad enough. Last summer the toilets were more limited than usual on our flight, since a couple were out of order.

Since it's illegal for us to take liquids on the plane, they can't charge for water. Yes, that's the good news.

Even during the "sleep time," the aisles are full of people trying to keep the blood flowing. Doctors are recommending constant physical activity, since the air pressure (or something like that) is bad for circulation, causing all sorts of blood clots, thrombosis etc.

The big problem is if you're not in an aisle seat, you have to constantly disturb those who are. My last flight had a major foul-up. I took out El Al Frequent Flyer, so I could choose my seat in advance, but somehow I ended up in the middle. I asked the young man in the aisle seat to change with me. I should have demanded a change from the steward staff. The guy insisted that he didn't mind being woken up all the time, and we ended up like some pre-school, all going to the toilet at the same time. And then I'd try to hike around the plane, which wasn't easy. So, I guess the guy didn't sleep much.

El Al serves food, but the free booze was much more limited than before. No more little individual bottles of wine, vodka etc. They poured the wine into a cup, or you could have beer, choice of two types, I think.

The only way of really changing things is for someone who gets thrombosis from a flight in which he/she couldn't get out of the crowded seat to exercise. That person should sue the airlines.

No comments: