Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dumb Me!

I can't believe that months of a fantastic weekly women's Tanach, Bible, class had been given here in Shiloh by Taphat Halprin, and I just went today for the very first time. From what I understand, there's only about a month left before it's over.

A week or so ago a neighbor asked me why I don't go, and I didn't really have an answer. I thought it was one of those "first study these sources and then we'll discuss them" class. I can't read and understand all the Hebrew when it's done like that. I have to read English, check specific things in Hebrew, but I have no problem understanding and participating in verbal Hebrew.

My daughters have studied with Taphat and say that she's unbelievable.

Well, I figured that if this neighbor can follow it, I certainly can. So today I went. Taphat was so amazing and quick, which I like since I also think quickly and sometimes get very antsy and frustrated with people who speak and develop their ideas slowly. What really shocked me was that she even made medrashim, Rabbinic "Legends," sound reasonable. Usually, I can't stand them. I like delving through the actual text.

The series is Women in the Bible. She's in the middle of teaching about Miriam but spoke more of Bitya, Bat Paroh, Pharaoh's daughter. Besides all the traditional Jewish sources, she described scenes in The Prince of Egypt, the animated movie, to explain passages and agreed with me that in Blazing Saddles the part leading to the quicksand scene is a good explanation of the way slave owners related to their slaves.

Taphat described Bitya and Miriam as rebels, or dissidents. Think about it; the men of their time "played it safe." We'd still be in Egypt if they hadn't done what they did.

Things haven't changed. Have they?

2 comments:

The Babka Nosher said...

"get very antsy and frustrated with people who speak and develop their ideas slowly"

What a great description... that's me, to a TEE! My inlaws are visiting right now, and my father is VERY slow. I've been pulling my hair out!

Enjoy the last few weeks of the study sessions!

Batya said...

A girl of my own heart.

When I went back to teachers college for my teaching license, one teacher, actually a bright lady, spoke so slowly for the non-native English speakers. I literally went bonkers in the class and told her that I had to do my needlepoint, whether she liked it or not. Otherwise I'd be running around the room, and I was by far, very far, the oldest there, besides her, maybe.