Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Should Have Lots of Mazal, Luck, Nu?

There are those who say that if you break glass or pottery, you'll have "mazaltov," good luck. Well, on Friday afternoon, as I was lighting the Shabbat candles, as I put down the match, before making the blessing, it touched something on the shelf which caught fire. I tried to move it and ended up knocking the glass and candles all over the place, so I had to quickly re-set it all up and then say the blessing.

The house was full, including all the grandchildren. Luckily my daughter's #3 is not like my #3 who crawled around at the ripe old age of 4 1/2 months, since there was glass all over the place. Yes, I still had to try to sweep it all up, pikuach nefesh (saving a life overrides everything.)

Honestly, I'm not the type to break things. We still have the same glasses we bought over 35 years ago, and we do use them, OK, not daily, but we use them. Our mugs have their handles.

One thing I've noticed is that after not breaking anything for a number of years, I suddenly break a number of things in a short period of time, and then nothing for a long time. The question is if all those little glass candle containers count as "one breaking" or multiple.

The most important thing is that we have "mazal" from it, G-d willing!

2 comments:

We're the ones who have to put up with them said...

Once someone told me it is extra good luck to break glass or pottery on Shabbat! Of course, they may have just been trying to make me feel better for breaking one of their plates accidentally.... ;-)

Batya said...

Let's hope it's so!