Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Grazing in Ramat Eshkol

Ramat Eshkol is probably the first big neighborhood built in liberated Jerusalem after the Six Days War. Its large shopping center is also Jerusalem's first. There are a great variety of stores, and it's hard to be there without buying something. I was there with my daughter and grandson this week, and she enjoyed it.

Ramat Eshkol was built relatively quickly with great enthusiasm and a mistake or two. There's a bridge over a side street, Yaakov Netter Street, which was really supposed to cross adjacent Sderot Eshkol Boulevard, but the builders didn't look carefully at the map, and the inspectors didn't understand the details of the massive project.

This sight used to be common in Jerusalem. I remember seeing sheep and goats near my Bayit V'Gan, Jerusalem apartment in the 1970's.

I took this picture from the bus, dirty double bullet-proof Windows. We were at the Ammunition Hill end of Eshkol Boulevard.


2 comments:

Leora said...

My aunt and uncle (z"l) lived in Ramat Eshkol (I think) when they first moved to Israel (about the same time you moved there).

Now my aunt lives in the Haifa area, in assisted living closer to my cousin and family. She lived in a variety neighborhoods in Jerusalem in between.

Batya said...

It's a very successful neighborhood.