Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Letters Prove What?

The "letters" I'm referring to are in words, actually the font chosen by the candidates, or more precisely their staff. How many candidates really look at the signs, letters, buttons, t-shirts and say:


"I don't like the font. Maybe you can come up with something more: classic, modern, unique etc?"
I used to work in advertising and I don't remember my clients ever noticing the font at all. I did and would sometimes drive the graphic artists nuts. As a teacher, I make a big deal out of how the test should look, what font etc. As a blogger, I also like to play with the fonts and sizes and colors.

I guess news is quite slow, and that's why the New York Times has an article about John McCain's choice of font. Now, honestly, do you think he deals with such picayune details? I don't.

A few years ago, I decided to have my silver candlesticks repaired. My grandmother had given them to me when I got married, so they meant something. At the silver shop, the saleswoman explained that they couldn't be repaired. They were made differently from European or Israeli ones. So I wondered if I should buy new ones. I felt awful. How could I replace my grandmother's gift? So I called up my cousin, who got married when I did and lives in Israel, too. Her answer surprised me. "Grandma didn't pick them out. Don't worry. She wouldn't care."

Honestly, I don't think McCain pays attention to such minor details as fonts, but I liked the article, because I pay attention to fonts.

The font makes the candidate, right!?

No comments: