Thursday, April 03, 2008

"Vayihi or," and then there was light

This morning, as I was passing the den, after drinking coffee to last night's "Law & Order--Special Victims Unit," I noticed a little twinkling coming from the computer screen. it had been dead black for the past two days.

So, I walked in and checked from close-up. Yes, the little light was on. Maybe... well, so I turned on the computer and... the screen lit up!

I'm still waiting for the screen we were promised, abut now I'm deleting and reading the over 300 letters, no exaggeration!, which had piled up and blogging a bit and trying to catch up on news.

The the biggest and most shocking, I heard in one of my favorite Jerusalem clothing stores. A former dentist of ours committed suicide. His name hasn't been mentioned on the news, but the saleswoman knew him and couldn't stop talking about it. The story she told isn't totally identical with what was written in the JPost. But from what I heard, things are still being investigated.

4 comments:

Leora said...

What an awful story. Dentists supposedly have a high suicide rate, but this was a very upsetting story. A combination of a bad mistake (though the article said the teenager is probably fine) with a bad solution to one's problems (suicide). How sad.

Batya said...

I didn't know those statistics, but without giving too much info the guy was very successful over the years, and the more money/possessions, the more worries, according to Pirkei Avot.

For twenty plus years, we've been going to a dentist who has a different value system.

Leora said...

I'm probably reading into the story, but he may have had an underlying problem with depression. Not taking care of your equipment would be a big no-no for a dentist. Sometimes people make "mistakes" when there is underlying inward anger about a situation.

I'm glad you are with a different dentist.

Batya said...

Depression, panic, hiding something. I hope his patients are all healthy.

Over the years so many people have tried to get me involved in the pyramid "health" schemes like sunrider, but I just can't promise "good health."