Friday, May 16, 2008

And if you had been wondering...

I wrote that I had a parent-teachers meeting yesterday. Well, I dressed up very properly and got to Beit El relatively quickly. I was well-timed to catch a bus and there are more frequent rides after 3 than my usual after 12 to Beit El. So really, it wasn't a stressful trip. I ended up with a half hour on the Teachers Room computer and easily blogged this.


Then I went up to the English Room to wait for the hoards of parents. My "coordinator" and I had a nice chat while we waited. Yes, we waited. Finally, some parents came in, but they were for the teacher who wasn't there. The father was someone I had known over 40 years ago, so we had a little reunion. And then I waited some more. A father-son team came in to speak to the other teacher, and I waited. After an hour and a half, I decided to search for parents. I found a neighbor, mother of one of my students. I spoke to her, even though we had just had "the talk" a few days ago. But I was desperate. How could I leave without meeting a single parent.


I'm proud to say that I didn't nosh on a single cookie. I crocheted. Be Prepared!


The parking area was full, but the English Room was ignored.



I showed up, because I consider these meetings very important. I also never heard any reactions to the letters I had sent off to the the parents of my seniors. I reported that their sons have not done the minimal required work and will not be able to finish their English requirements.


If this is how the parents participate in their sons' education, I feel sorry for the kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds overly familiar to me... My school recently came up with a new format for PT meetings, which I like. All teachers gather in the gym, and parents can just 'shop around' in stead of only visit the teacher they requested to meet. Since this new format I've spoken to most parents, while before I would only speak to one (if at all). It is sad indeed to see how little some parents are interested in the education of their children.

Batya said...

Sounds good. We don't have a gymnasium, but we do have a dining room and large hall, where the noshes were.

I'm surprised that parents don't visit in your school either.