Friday, June 06, 2008

Almost Shavuot, So...

Shavuot is an unknown Jewish Holiday for some. It doesn't supply the vivid culinary memories of Pesach (Passover,) nor the fun of Chanukah, nor the seriousness Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur. There's no succah to decorate, dancing around the Torah nor Hamantaschen and noise-makers.

It's on the calendar, during the school year, so I must have heard about it during my five years (I graduated!) of OJC Hebrew School, but honestly I don't think I knew it existed until I became religious when in high school.

In the Jewish world dominated by Ashkenazim (European Jews) it's claimed that "everybody eats dairy, especially cheesecake, on Shavuot." But the truth is very different.

North African Jews, like my Tunisian son-in-law, don't have a dairy culinary culture. For them, a Jewish Holiday meal is meat and poultry, not even fish, and certainly no cheesecake.

And they're, that's the Tunisian branch of the family, are coming for Shavuot, so maybe one of the meals will be meat.

2 comments:

Mikeinmidwood said...

I was planning on doing a post about shavous but like you said there is nothing much.

Batya said...

There's plenty to write, like my next post.