Thursday, June 05, 2008

RFK


My teens was Kennedy time. Early into my second decade JFK was elected US President, assassinated soon after, and as that decade ended his younger brother RFK was also murdered.

I think of them by initials, like newspaper headlines.

They were brothers, special brothers. Trying to understand things today along with the images, over forty years in my mind, it seems like one had the looks and the other the power and drive to put him in office.

Jack and Jackie were on their twin pedestals, propped up by Bobby's hard, gutsy work.

Over the years, lots of negative stuff has been revealed about them all, especially JFK. My feeling was always that Bobby was the real tough one. Today, he'd be called "hyper." That's why I was very impressed by the essays by three of his kids. They show a Bobby Kennedy more human and wiser than I would have guessed.

No comments: