Monday, July 28, 2008

Waiting in Ariel

Yesterday I was in Ariel... waiting....

Ariel is thirty years old, like Shiloh. There were signs all over "Ariel Celebrating 30." But where Shiloh has close to 300 families, Ariel has thousands.

From day one, Ariel was planned as a "city," while Shiloh was planned as a.. a... I guess you could say that the original plan was for a large, friendly ..uhmm... neighborhood. "Slow controlled growth" were the bywords. Yes, a mistake. That's why Eli was planned, because Shiloh refused to be a city. Not that Eli is a city, but it's larger and has a totally different recruitment acceptance marketing policy.

Back to Ariel. Ron Nachman established a city in the Shomron which is nothing like any other YESHA community. First of all, religious Jews are a small minority. There are many non-Jews. Some are F-USSR immigrants who aren't Jewish and others are connected with his main donors, the evangelical Christians.

There is also Israel's fastest growing university. By traveling the new road, via Rechallim, the college is just about ten minutes from Shiloh. The easiest way of traveling between Shiloh and the "coastal plain" is via Ariel. You can be in Petach Tikva in just over half an hour, the Yarkon Junction in 30 minutes. Yes, it's no further than Jerusalem.

Yesterday I was in Ariel to get to a family simcha, a brit (circumcision) in Kfar Saba.
I was able to wait calmly, seated at the bus stop, since I knew that a ride was coming for me. But I could have either taken a bus (and then another bus or two) or waited for a ride or two or three.

And then, later, I was there again as the sun set and we waited for a ride home. That's where I took this gorgeous picture. The clouds were strangely winter-like.

17 comments:

Leora said...

You could submit this to skywatch Friday:

Skywatch
I would look on the site on Friday morning and see if the new "linkies" are up and then submit it.

Gorgeous.

Batya said...

thanks
leora, I thought it had to be photographed on Friday. Pleae remind me. I forgot last week.

Leora said...

No, it can be photographed anytime. Don't be fooled by the "Friday"; it might be available on Thursday night.

I'll try to send you an email. If I'm not to crazed on Friday and you haven't posted yet, I might be able to submit your post for you. I've never tried that.

Batya said...

Thanks for the help until I get into the swing of it.

Leora said...

Batya, I just submitted it for you. hopefully, you'll have new commentators and comments waiting for you in the morning...

Unknown said...

These are great pictures. lovely sunset!
My Sky Watch Friday posts

Gemma Wiseman said...

Beautiful pics and enjoyed your comments too!

Lilli & Nevada said...

that last photo is just stunning

Batya said...

leora, thanks for helping me out!

And thanks to all the skywatch crowd. Now I have to see all of your gorgeous pics!

Anonymous said...

The last image is stunning! Happy Skywatching :)

Tom said...

Your picture is indeed worthy of Sky Watch and thank you for submitting or as we say posting it... the view is beautiful... any questions feel free to get in touch with me.

Jeannelle said...

Very nice SkyWatch photo!

Batya said...

a, old, j,
Thanks so much. I'm trying to visit the posts, but I can't get to them all.

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H

Yes, and they're now building the John Hagee Community Center.

< sigh >

The only thing Ariel has to offer is decent shwarmah, mehadrin pizza that delivers to Tapu'ah, a Zol Mehadrin and a post office close by.

I'd give it all up to get rid of all the christians and their private prayer communities (Read: churches).

I'll hate to be around if HaShem has to do that for us.

Batya said...

The good and the bad, hamavdil bein kodesh v'chol.

Where is the pizza place? And reliably kosher restaurants there?

Esser Agaroth said...

Yes, actually.

Baba Bar Grill is Shomron Mehadrin (Rova Bet), and Pizza Kid (Rova Alef) is Rav Mahpud.

The store on the northern side by the hotel has been a Zol Mehadrin for a while. The butcher has fresh Bet Yosef and Rav Orbach chicken. Meat is Bet Yosef I think. Fruit and veg. is Otzar Bet Din, Hu"l, or nochri and is marked so you can decide. I don't remember prices. I stick w/Mahane Yehuda anyway. Cheap.

W/O a car it's just as easy for you to schlep to/from Jerusalem probably.

Batya said...

easier or sha'ar binyamin
But I stick with the local stores except for fruit/veg from Machane Yehuda.

I was thinking of meeting a friend in Ariel for lunch.