Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sometimes It's As Simple As...

... turning around the plug.

The neighbor who
fixed my tv gave me some information totally new to me. While he was working he was instructing. The two prongs of the Israeli electric plug aren't the same. Sometimes your appliance won't work properly until you unplug it and replug the opposite way. I had never heard that.

When he was working on my tv, there was a lot of experimentation. It was the first time he had worked on that exact model. Once things were finished and put together, we plugged it in. Light came out of the little red bulb, but it didn't do much else. Niether when we pressed the buttons on the tv nor when we used the remote control.

Finally he asked which was the plug and told me to unplug it, turn it and replug it. Only then did it work.

So many times we stubbornly continue with the sme failure-producing methods, finally condemning the whole system, claiming it must be broken and worse. In many cases all we need to do is to check the plug, turn it around.

My husband and I were so sure that that electric surge had burn out the tv, when all that had to be replaced was that tiny fuse. Buying a new tv didn't seem like a good start to our living on less. Today I was tempted to rush to Jerusalem to buy some end of the season bargains, but my closet is stuffed. I just have to see how to mix and match a little differently.

No comments: