Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tough First Day

Is there really an easy day to start a diet? OK, maybe when weak and convalescing from a bad virus, when you have no appetite...

Photos of yesterday's food will, bli neder--not an oath, be posted later.

I sort of started my day #1 of Start Fresh alright. I think I'll count my early morning coffee with milk and forbidden sugar as a snack, since I don't snack, and a few hours pass between that and breakfast. It's a major ingredient of my "elimination" routine. I once read that you should "eliminate" yesterday's food from your body before putting in new food, and that's how I do it, first thing in the morning, lots of water and then coffee. Afterwards, I don't drink coffee during the day, with very rare exceptions, like having a "restaurant breakfast" for lunch which includes coffee.

My breakfast and lunch were great and followed the no carb rule, though I don't know what fish I ate and didn't weight it. A chunk came out of the package of frozen fish and that was it. I cooked it up with lots of low calorie, low carb vegetables and served it with a great salad. I sprinkled some tamari sauce for extra flavor; I didn't cook it with salt.

I wasn't tempted to buy anything for myself at the grocers, when I took the grandkids in for a treat, but that night's fancy dinner in honor of Rav Adin Steinsaltz was my downfall. At first, I had no problem sticking to my plan of only having salad, diet veggies and protein. Of course, my quantities were well over quota, but it really wasn't hard to ignore the carbohydrates. Then they served dessert... I didn't "clean my plate," but I should have refused it. At least it fit the rule:

"If you're going to pig out on something fattening, it should really be delicious."

I walked a lot yesterday, well over 3 kilometers total, probably 4 plus. Two kilometers were a pre-lunch walk and I walked with my husband from the Begin Center to the Plaza Hotel, and there was plenty of walking in Shiloh and Ofra. And I almost forgot my jacket at the hotel and had to go down and up the stairs there an extra time.

Now to plan today's meals according to Start Fresh.

3 comments:

Pesky Settler said...

How is your vanilla extract coming along?

Anonymous said...

what's about the water? that's the hardest part for me when I'm really trying to lose. It's hard to remember to drink and it's hard to be near facilities all the time...

Batya said...

pesky, b'ezrat Hashem, you'll see a pic of the vanilla extract in the next post.

loveto...
For the past few years I've been drinking lots of water upon waking up and before I go to sleep. Yes, the big trick is getting up a minimum of two and a half hours before I leave the house, so I can "finish."