Thursday, January 15, 2009

It Didn't Even Hurt

NO, I'm not talking about a medical procedure. I'm talking about signing up for unemployment insurance.

I checked in on the internet, and I did have time, though I needed to go the the Bituach Le'umi, Israel's National Insurance office to make sure I'm covered by my "Sick Fund." I've been unemployed since September 1st. Do the counting quietly to yourself, please.

At the end of September, pushed by daughter #1, who knows about these things from work, I signed up in the "looking for work department," "to get in the system." She told me that then I'm covered from September. At that point I hadn't yet received all the things/forms etc I needed from my previous job.

Time flies, and suddenly, I realized that I ought take the next step. So, as I previously posted, the "goyisherebbitzen" and I cased the joint yesterday.

So this morning, armed with my files, I refound the place, went through security, got on line, had time to sit and crochet and finally met a clerk. He was nice and patient; he told me to fill out some forms I've had since September and then see him without taking a new number. Isn't that nice of him?

So I did, but some forms didn't make sense and my not have been relevant to my status. I only filled out what made sense. Then he told me to sign and said that my sick fun dues would be paid and I'd get some mail. I thanked him and told him how pleasant he was. He gave me a peculiar look. Maybe he's not used to good manners.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it wasn't such a difficult process for you, and it seems within the procedure, you might have made the employee feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

Batya said...

It was pretty laid back there. Most people seemed very at ease while waiting, and there were enough chairs, and the numbers moved quickly.

He probably thought that I was a crazy American.