Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fasting Sickly, and One of Those Siyate D'Shmaya Classics

Yesterday, I was focused on three things:
  • Finishing Havel Havelim
  • Going to Work
  • Fasting, since it was Tzom Gedalia
Scroll down to see that I did finish Havel Havelim, which is also posted on Shiloh Musings.  It looks a bit different on the diffeerent template and has different comments, too.  What's this using the word "different" three times in one sentence?

Yes, I fasted, though I was very thirsty.  By the time I got back from work, I wasn't feeling well either.  Usually, I pamper myself by resting on a fast day, but I was scheduled to go to work in Ofra.  I also hung out two washes.  I broke the fast early by drinking water and later on had some homemade applesauce.  

Now, for the Siyate D"Shmaya--
As I said in the previous paragraph, "...was scheduled to go to work in Ofra."  My Monday schedule is a short one, three lessons, starting at 12.  Since it was a fast day, the studies ended at 12:45, meaning I'd have to leave the comfort of my house on a summer's fast day and find a ride or bus to Ofra for one lesson.  Of course I went.

When I entered the classroom, I noticed that it was empty, no sign of students.  I began asking around and discovered that the girls I teach weren't there.  It had been announced on our board, but I didn't realize that my students were that program/group that wouldn't be there.  A teacher who's a neighbor promised me a ride home, so at least my return would be easy.

Had I really travelled for nothing?  What could I do?  Suddenly I remembered that I still needed help to find out how to record attendence on the internet program the school uses.  I had tried at home, just before going to work and couldn't figure it out.  So, I sat at one of the computers in the teachers room and signed into the program.  Then I asked other staff members what to do and learned how.  I managed to do more than half when I heard the bell; the lesson was over.

I  went looking for my ride.  It seemed like the neighbor had left without me.  I guess she didn't see me sitting at the computer.  No big deal; at least there were schoolbuses.  I took the one to Shiloh.  The driver dropped us off as far as he could from my house.  Of course, not intentionally, but at "high noon" on a summer's fast day, walking up the hill to my house was not what I needed to be doing.  I started walking to the place across from our supermarket (much larger than a simple makolet, grocery store,) and to my great surprise I saw an elderly neighbor who had been away for awhile struggling with her bags after getting off the bus.

I rushed over and helped her to get a ride up to our neighborhood.  Yes, I went up, too.  I wouldn't have known of her return if I hadn't gone for nothing to Ofra. I wouldn't have known of her return if I hadn't been forced by circumstances to take the school bus.  I wouldn't have known of her return if I hadn't been let off in such an inconvenient place.

Suddenly, after seeing that she had made it safely to her house, I had the energy to walk to mine at the other end of the neighborhood.  It had become so clear why all those things had gone seemingly wrong.  They weren't wrong at all.  It was G-d's way of planning things, G-d's hand, Siyate D'Shmaya.

No comments: