Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Waking Up Early and My Favorite Coffee

For me the two topics in the title are connected, because my early morning time is by the computer drinking coffee.

By nature I'm a "morning person,"  but it's only in recent years that I get up extra early for solitary time. 
  • There's no competition for the computer.
  • I have time to "eliminate" after drinking lots of water and then coffee.
I like strong coffee with milk and sugar in the morning.  I rarely have more than those early morning mugs of coffee.  Coffee isn't a food substitute for me.  It's my morning drink and gets my whole body moving, if you get the drift of the euphemism.

Many life coach and other experts promote getting up early for a variety of reasons.  I've been doing it for years and I can't imagine my life without it.  Physically and mentally, those couple of hours without pressure are necessary.  It wouldn't surprise me to discover, if I was to do a poll, that constipation is more common among those who rush out in the morning and don't have time to eat and eliminate.  We all need to drink lots of water first thing in the morning.  My coffee is being made while I drink water.

Now, what's the best coffee?  Only on the Sabbath and Jewish Holidays do I drink instant coffee.  For the past few years I've prepared my coffee in an electric coffeemaker.  It's a filter coffeemaker and I generally use good standard quality Israeli Turkish coffee.  It's OK.

When I eat out, I'm usually disappointed in the coffee served.  I like my home-brewed coffee better than what's served today as "cappuccino."  There's no flavor. 

During Passover, I can't use my coffeemaker, so I use an old percolator on the stove.  I prefer the taste of the perked  coffee to the filtered.  Possibly with a better electric coffeemaker, I'd taste less of a difference.  In terms of types of coffees, I don't find the expensive ones, even from the states, any tastier than the Elite Turkish Coffee.  I don't like the Starbucks burnt flavor.

No comments: