Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Feeling Dumb

Yesterday, during the Tisha B'Av Fast, my sister-in-law and I were in Manhattan.  We went to a shiur class in Lincoln Square Synagogue and Mincha (afternoon) prayers.  Then we walked around.  I hadn't yet bought any presents for anyone including the grandkids.  But the 9th of Av isn't a shopping day, at least for clothes.  When we saw the large Barnes & Nobles nearby, I figured that books for grandkids in a foreign country should be permitted.

So we found some books to help the grandkids learn English.  And I also got some DVD's, yes, a few movies on sale.

Then we walked and sat on one of those park benches in the middle of the street.  Last stop was the Apple Store.  No, not a fruit store, the computer one.  We composed a fantasy shopping list.  Actually, the Apple products (computers) were very tempting.  Then in the downstairs of the store we saw children's things, a learning program.  We pulled up two round and comfortable stools and played the game.  It was one of the "look for..."  Boy, did I feel dumb. Even with my reading glasses I couldn't find all the objects.  Let's blame it on the fast...

2 comments:

Leora said...

Playing games like those are good to keep your brain churning, as we all move forward in age advancing... I love playing games. I bet if you had more opportunity to play, you would get really good.

Batya said...

No doubt, and if we hadn't been fasting, we probably would have done better, too.