Friday, April 15, 2011

Let's Make it a Great Shabbat, Shabbat HaGadol

If I was really wealthy, I'd go away for this Shabbat, Shabbat HaGadol, just before Passover, especially on a year like this one when the seder is on a Monday night.  OK, if I really had money, I'd have paid help, instead of working almost double my usual weekly hours at Yafiz, which pays me less than I'd get if I hired myself as cleaning help to someone else.  I'm not good at cleaning.  I'm not good at folding clothes.  Luckily at work I'm good great with the customers helping them choose what to buy.  I really enjoy that part of work.  That's what brings the money in, so they can forgive my sloppy folding.  It's one of the things I like about my job.  The store is large enough to need a number of staff at all times, and we can do what we do best.

Now, about Shabbat...
For years I've been saying that it's called the Great Shabbat, Shabbat HaGadol to remind us that Shabbat is more important, greater than housework, even pre-Pesach cleaning.  We mustn't lose perspective.  Too many of us do, including on occasion yours truly.

Yesterday morning, before going to work, I completed my Shabbat cooking.  Today, once I logout of all this internet stuff, and after I have my breakfast, it's time to finish cleaning the kitchen and then converting it into a Kosher for Passover haven.  I'll leave a shelf in the fridge for the chometzdik Shabbat food. And there will be plenty of disposable dishes, cups and utensils to use on Shabbat. And then after Shabbat we'll do the final sink kashering and covering up of basic surfaces.  Sunday will be seder and first day holiday cooking day, G-d willing.  Monday my husband will make the ritual foods, like charoset and grated horseradish.

Back to Shabbat, again, am I losing focus?

So, yes, with all the Pesach stuff/preparations on our minds, it is very easy to lose focus on Shabbat.  That's why this week's Shabbat is called Great Shabbat, Shabbat HaGadol.  We must make it great, even greater than most Shabbatot.  Isn't that why it's customary to listen to a special shiur, Torah lecture on Shabbat afternoon?

We must glorify this Shabbat, even if we're eating on disposable plates.  Serve something very tasty.  If you've bought more than one new outfit for the holiday, or more than one new item of clothing, then how about wearing it this Shabbat?

Shabbat is the holiest day of the week, and it's holier than most holidays. Yes, the laws of Shabbat override every Jewish Holiday except Yom Kippur.

Shabbat Shalom u'Mevorach
Have a Peaceful and very Pleasant and Blessed Shabbat!

No comments: