Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Classic, Cookie-Style Hamentaschen

This has been my basic recipe for Hamentaschen for more than forty years.  It's easy to make and even easier to eat!

My daughter just asked me for the recipe.  I've been making them since before she was born, and I don't think she wants me to publicize her age.

The same basic simple recipe can be found in lots of cookbooks.  I double or triple the recipe.

Ingredients
2 cups flour, white, wholewheat or combined
baking powder, a teaspoon or two depending on if it's double-acting or not
1/2 cup sugar, white or brown or combined
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
grated rind of lemon, orange or squirt of vanilla

Filling
poppy seeds and jam
mix, so very thick
  1. mix dry ingredients
  2. add eggs, oil and flavor
  3. mix
  4. roll onto a clean, but floured surface.  I have used a glass rather than a rolling pin.
  5. use either a large round cookie cutter or large mug to cut circles
  6. put a spoon of the filling in the middle
  7. fold the edges by thirds, so it'll look like a triangle
  8. use parchment (baking) paper on baking pan
  9. bake medium heat until it looks ready

No comments: