Sunday, February 24, 2013

Getting Tired of Purim...

I don't know what has gotten into me this year. For whatever reason or reasons, I'm having trouble getting myself into the Purim mood or mode.  My self-control when confronted with lots of candies isn't so great, so I didn't buy much this year.

I've never been into well-planned theme Mishloach Manot,  the "food for the Purim Seuda/Feast" packages given out.  Some people are very creative.

Fish-themed Mishloach Manot

My general practice is to just make sure that there are at least two types of food, needing two different blessings, such as vegetable soup and a chocolate, usually with a few extra items to round it out.

It's actually a relief that I no longer have to create costumes for my kids.  I can just enjoy seeing what others have and wear.



Please don't forget that here in Shiloh we have two days of Purim, which means two days of eating, costumes, Mishloach Manot and four required readings of Megillat (Scroll of) Esther.  And since I can't follow when it's noisy and got awfully distracted (ADHD) I have to find quiet readings to attend, which isn't always easy.

One thing I do like is the message of Purim, that we must beware that the world doesn't care what happens to the Jewish People.  We must remember and take steps.  Our only true reliable ally is G-d!

Now that I've finished with this rant, I do feel better.  I don't have time for much more.  There's lots of work to be done.

Have a Wonderful, Healthy, Joyful and Meaningful Purim!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

well, I learned something new -- 2 days of Purim. I can imagine that CHILDREN must love this.

As for the quiet readings, I can empathize somewhat. I need to be able to HEAR and so I need to be where the READER reads loud and CLEAR. I remember one year, I went to a Megilla reading at my parents shul, it was the extra reading. I chose to go to that because I knew there would be fewer attendees and it would be a bit more "low key". And, it was BUT, the reader of the megillah read like his house was on fire! I could not follow. So I asked the woman sitting next to me to help me follow along and she was such an idiot. She turned to me and SHUSHED me and berated me for talking, when I was asking her for HELP!! I was so upset. I just sat there, staring straight ahead, with tears coursing down my face. NO ONE noticed, the woman next to me kept her face averted, intent on HERSELF hearing and following the words. I finally just got up in the middle and left. I never heard it. This is the kind of thing that will prevent me from attempting to do these type mitzvot. It is just too difficult, too painful. this year, I am in the hospital. And NO, they do not go around to find people to read the megilla to. They do arrange to have a few places in the hospital where one can go to hear it but that is it. I am NOT able to go, so this year I will NOT be hearing the megillah. I will just read it to myself.

Batya said...

Rachel, I can just imagine, that if I have trouble, it's a billion times worse for you.

Lorri said...

I agree with the quiet readings. It can be too much.

I can't hear out of my right ear, and even at that, the noise is often overwhelming, with sounds, voices, music, readings, whatever all sounding jumbled through my left ear.

Solitude is often my escape, and I read to myself.

Batya said...

Lorri, I managed to pack myself into a back corner, which was the best place, since it's that "noise from behind" that really bothers me. Have you tried that?