Friday, October 18, 2013

We're in the Middle of the Jewish Month of Cheshvan. Where's the Rain?

When my friends and I were at Shiloh Hakeduma, Tel Shiloh on Rosh Chodesh (the beginning of the Jewish Month of) Cheshvan it seemed so certain that G-d would be giving us lots of rain this month.


We were very happy that the sky wasn't summer pure blue.


Since then, there have been clouds, but no rain.


And even though we did get a strong, quick "first rain" during Succot, less than a month ago, I only noticed one of the crocus flowers which usually herald winter.

Jerusalem Autumn Crocus (Colchicum hierosolymitanum) blooms gorgeous large purple flowers before growing its leaves.  Jerusalem Insider's Guide

I usually see many of these during this season here in Shiloh, but so far I haven't.  Finally, when I visited my grandkids in Ofra I spotted this near their home.

The meteorologists are predicting rain for Shabbat and much colder weather than we've had so far. I'll have to let you know after Shabbat.  And I have to remember to close some of the windows we've left open since the summer.  We've passed the date when a sunny day can be called a nice day.  Now, the only truly nice days are wet.  Of course we do need some dry sunny ones in between, but without rain we're in trouble.

No comments: