Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Following my Shadow

I'm not much of a follower.  I don't react well to getting too many orders.  I'm the firstborn in my family. My parents had me to "practice on."


I've always gone in odd ways, certainly not quite what my parents had hoped and expected.  "Out of the box" is the only place I feel at home.

My style of dress is also a bit eccentric.

I'm not from a religious home, but I was drawn to Jewish observance even before my NCSY days.

And then through NCSY I found the strength to make real changes, especially because a friend took the same path.

Soon that wasn't enough.  I learned Zionism and was brought to Betar, thanks to Dennis.

And then I dropped out of college and married.  Soon we were on the boat to Israel, lived in Jerusalem, did two years of Jewish youth work in London.

But then our return to Jerusalem wasn't enough either.

Off to Shiloh.   I wouldn't accept any excuse not to move there.


And now I'm drawn to the Biblical Shiloh, where the Tabernacle once stood and where for millennia Jews prayed.


What's next?



No comments: