Friday, February 14, 2014

Amazing Little Miracle

About a month and a half ago or more I managed to lose a gold earring at work.  Suddenly I realized that it wasn't in my ear.  I had vague memories of something being stuck in my sweater or neckwarmer and pulling on it, but I couldn't quite remember where that had happened.  I mentioned it to some of the staff at the time.

It was a good earring, which I had for years.  I decided not to allow myself to get upset.  It wasn't a matter of life and death.  It probably happened around the time that Superman Sam lost his battle against leukemia and died. With that on my mind and other issues much more crucial than a gold earring, after doing my best to search for it, I just said Kapora.  May the loss of the earring be instead of the loss of a life.

Davka, I've found and returned many lost objects in the store, Yafiz-Sha'ar Binyamin.  But even though I frequently sweep the store, and it gets cleaned daily, the ring had disappeared.  It's not the first time in my life I've lost an earring. I've lost earrings that were more valuable and mean much more to me than that one. Yes, Kapora.

That's me at work a couple of months ago
wearing the earring.
Last night at work, after spending a lot of time manning our "outside" for awhile, where we have about a third of our stock, I walked in and stepped behind the counter where the cash registers are.  Suddenly I noticed something bright and gold sparkling at me.  Yes, of course, you guessed it.  It was my earring.
"That's mine." 
I said in English. So surprised, I couldn't find the words in Hebrew.

Another staff member told me that a customer had just found it.  When he told me where I was even more surprised, since I've cleaned there many, many times.  And even stranger is the fact that not all that long ago I found someone else's earring in the same basic location.

All I can think of is that the customer who found my earring really needed a mitzvah to do, and G-d decided that it should be to find and return my earring.

Shabbat Shalom u'Mevorach
May You Have a Peaceful and Blessed Shabbat

7 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

Batya, this is a lovely story on several levels. You teach by example not to lose ourselves in a loss. You teach priorities. You teach perspective, and the proper attitude of gratitude.

Thank you for writing such a lovely and uplifting piece!

Batya said...

Ruti, thanks so much. What can I say other than it's a lesson from life? We shouldn't waste our strength.

DS said...

I just lost an earring today and it was trying to see it as a kapora-hashgacha to read this right now! Thank you.

Batya said...

DS, when we have no control over things we must make peace with it. If the earring shows up, that's G-d's decision. We can just do our hishtadlut but stop short at obsessing.
Shavua Tov

Mrs. S. said...

Great story!
Shavua tov v'gashum!

DS said...

Absolutely. Baruch HaShem I'm not obsessing ��

Batya said...

Mrs. S. thanks
DS, great, B"H