Friday, February 28, 2014

Kosher in Miami, Fish & Sushi

I can't believe I've been back home for a few weeks and haven't yet posted about the lovely kosher restaurants in Miami, Florida.  First of all, even though I know that friends and others will groan and say that I'm just a New York/Israeli snob, but I was so pleasantly surprised to see so many kosher restaurants and stores in the Miami and just north or Miami areas.  Yes, you say that against me.  I hadn't a clue that the Jewish community in Southern Florida is so vibrant and traditional.

In all honesty and prepared for the slinging of soft tomatoes, I'll say that it reminded me of the Jewish areas of Queens and Nassau, Long Island, both in the Jewish Kosher establishments and in the architecture. Those of us who are strictly kosher won't have problems when visiting Southern Florida.

The very first day after my red-eye from Phoenix, Arizona, I was taken touring by two cousins, my host and another who winters in the area.  Miami, like Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale, isn't a New York City or Tel Aviv either.  It looks pretty suburban.  Here and there are some tall buildings, and on the whole, the hotels dominate the skyline especially towards the beach.

We stopped for lunch at a place called "17 Restaurant & Sushi Bar, KM."  I presume that the KM stands for Kosher Milk; though I could be wrong.

We started the meal sharing some sushi, which was delicious.  I ordered their salmon and asked that I only have vegetables and salad on the side.  It was perfect.


My cousins ate other dishes, which I didn't photograph.  They were also very pleased with their food, and we didn't leave over a crumb of anything.  That can't only be caused by our genetically good appetites; the food was delicious.

17 Restaurant & Sushi
1205 17th St‎
Miami Beach, FL 33139
305 672 0565

2 comments:

sheldan said...

Batya, I believe that KM stands for "Kosher Miami," the hashgacha for that part of the Miami metropolitan area.

As for the accusations that you are a "New York/Israel snob," I have learned that unlike New York, there are very few kosher restaurants in most areas, and what we do have we appreciate. I grew up in Memphis, where we have had various restaurants over the years, and we still have a few places where people can have a kosher meal. I currently live in Boca Raton, so your comments about Miami restaurants are greatly appreciated. I am still learning what the good places are in South Florida, and I have a few favorites. Every so often, my wife and I go to Miami and take advantage of the kosher restaurants.

Batya said...

Sheldan, I had no idea that you're in Boca. I spent Shabbat in Hollywood. My cousin and I picked up ready-made Shabbat food in a kosher supermarket in someplace called Aventura if I got it right. It's between Miami and Hollywood.