Friday, June 20, 2014

Memories...

Someone I knew from the time I was just a couple of years old has written a book about memory, or the lack of it. She also blogs. Lisa Hirsch was my neighbor in Bell Park Gardens, Bayside, NY and then in Great Neck, NY. Her parents and mine were very close, and I remember the family well.
Lisa and Ruth
Alzheimer's - My Mom My Hero
Her blog and book are about her mother's Alzheimer's and growing lack of memory, coping with it for both of them.

There are so many different types of dementia. And it progress differently in each sufferer. I knew my mother had it and knew that it was getting very bad when she forgot that my son was engaged. The last truly aware thing I heard her say was "beautiful" when looking at a photo of my eldest granddaughter, her eldest great-granddaughter.

So few people who've survived to the ages of Lisa's mother and my father have both physical and mental sharpness and health. Usually at least one, if not both, of those are faulty. How sad.

5 comments:

Alzheimer's My Mom My Hero said...

I could not be more honored and touched by this post. I guess in many ways our lives have been parallel. Plannig to take my first trip to Israel Oct 2015. My son was their on Birthright and suppose to have been Bar Mitzvah(war stopped the occassion). Maybe we could meet up.

Batya said...

Lisa, I'd love to see you again after all this time. We'll make it happen, either here in Israel or in NY.

Alzheimer's My Mom My Hero said...

Absolutely and looking very much forward to our reunion.

Batya said...

amen, me, too

Anonymous said...

What a poignant post, Batya.

It is sad, yes. My mother had mental sharpness, but not physical health. Z"l.

It is sometimes difficult to watch our parents age.
-Lorri