Thursday, July 24, 2014

Rosh Chodesh Av on Monday, Remember Menu Change!

I've been so strongly concentrating on the fact that I'd like to have a lot of women joining us on Monday, Rosh Chodesh Av for prayers at Shiloh Hakeduma, Tel Shiloh, that I forgot that Rosh Chodesh Av heralds a serious menu change, at least for Ashkenaz Jews.

Just as my husband was leaving for work and shuk (fresh produce) shopping, he asked if he would need to make his regular chicken soup for the week, something smaller or none. I had totally forgotten that for us, the first day of the month of Av means that our menu changes from a daily poultry or meat meal to that of fish or possibly cheese, yes, the "Nine Days."

Between the war, work and other important items crowding my old brain, I had totally forgotten that. Sefardic, that's North African and "Spanish" Jews only begin these restrictions on the week of Tisha B'Av, the 9th of Av, which is almost a full week later this year.

Now I have to decide whether or not to refreeze some of the thawed chicken or cook and then freeze it. I already have a lot of cooked chicken in the freezer, which means that I'm probably better off just refreezing it to cook at a later date.

Ladies, you're invited to join us at Tel Shiloh, the site of the ancient, the Biblical Tabernacle, Mishkan, where Chana successfully prayed for a son to lead the Jewish People from the anarchy of the days of the Judges to having a king. The first two Kings of the Jewish Kingdom were anointed by her son Samuel the Prophet, Shmuel HaNavi.

Women's Prayers at Tel Shiloh Rosh Chodesh Av
Monday, July, 28, 2014
1st of Av 5774, 8:30am
We start dovening together with Hallel. Pray Shacharit at home or come early if possible, please.
Tour of Tel Shiloh & Dvar Torah, Short Torah Lesson
Please come and invite family, friends and neighbors

תפילת נשים ראש חודש תמוז בתל שילה
יום ב' 28-7 ב' אב תשע"ד 8:30
מתחילים את התפילה ביחד עם הלל. נא להתפלל שחרית בבית או לבוא מוקדם אם אפשר, תודה
יהיה דבר תורה קצר וסיור בתל
כדאי לבוא ולהזמין חברות, משפחה ושכנות



You're welcome to join our facebook page. Tel Shiloh is open to visitors daily. Guided tours can be arranged through the Shiloh HaKeduma, Ancient Shiloh office. Email visit@telshilo.org.il  or phone 02-994-4019.

PS The Shiloh area is now considered among the safest in the country. We, bli eyin haraa, aren't being targeted by the Hamas Gazan terrorists. This is the time to come and enjoy Shiloh.

2 comments:

Rickismom said...

I suddenly remembered this AM that I have to do all my laundry as well before sundown!!

Batya said...

rm, Yesterday was among the few times I was happy to get night shift.