Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Farewell, Goldschläger, Farewell

Many, many years ago at a festive event for relatives, their relatives from the other side brought a very delicious and unusual drink/liquor. Ever since then, we managed to buy a bottle for ourselves every few years. We'd have a bit on special occasions, and lucky guests would have some too. Yes, I'm referring to Goldschläger.
Goldschläger is a Swiss cinnamon schnapps (43.5% alcohol by volume or 87 proof; originally it was 53.5% alcohol or 107 proof),[1] a liqueur with very thin, yet visible flakes of gold floating in it.


We've had this bottle for awhile, though it's now empty and in the trash. I finished the last drops last night when clearing out the liquor cabinet. To get the very last drops and bits of gold I poured in some light beer. Yes, they actually go together, at least according to my unschooled taste buds.

Next time I travel I'll have to see if I can buy more, though I've heard that the recipe has changed and it isn't as good. Will it just live on in my memory like Crème de menthe, which I haven't seen for a long time? But according to Wikipedia it still exists.

No comments: