Saturday, September 05, 2015

Dilemma, What to do About the Jewish Blog Carnivals?

I have trouble letting go...

For the past few years, I've pretty much been the defacto "coordinator" of the veteran Jewish blog carnival, Havel Havelim. It was started by Soccer Dad possibly in 2004 or earlier. I'm not sure exactly. In its heyday it came out weekly and was hosted by a wide variety of Jewish bloggers all over the world. After a few years, Soccer Dad passed the baton on to someone named Jack, and when Jack had enough, it was rescued by Esser Agaroth who set up the facebook page, and I somehow found myself holding it together and doing most of the hosting of late. I just wonder if anyone would mind or even notice if I'd stop cold turkey. Almost nobody sends me links to posts. I just include whatever blogs I like and rarely get thanks. I don't do it for the thanks, but there was a time when bloggers were happy to be included, which is rare now. The other day I posted a question, my thoughts about this on the facebook page, and it was totally ignored. This is it:
There seems to be less and less interest in Havel Havalim. Sometimes I wonder if I should just let it die out. But I'm not willing to do that yet. Since I've been the only host of late, I'll post when convenient for myself. With the Jewish Holidays getting sooner and sooner, that means that every week isn't realistic. So unless there are volunteers to host, HH will appear at my convenience. Like many bloggers I like the idea a a periodic post featuring links from other blogs. I'll keep the name Havel Havelim.
You'll be included if you send me links, besides the blogs I choose. So please send in your links from the past week to shilohmuse@gmail.com HH as subject and a blurb would be appreciated, thanks.
If you're willing to host, just let me know, thanks.
You'll be included if you send me links, besides the blogs I choose. So please send in your links from the past week to shilohmuse@gmail.com HH as subject and a blurb would be appreciated, thanks.If you're willing to host, just let me know, thanks.
I did tag members of the group. One person sent me a link for the next Havel Havelim. Click here to see the one I posted last week.

And besides Havel Havelim, a number of years ago I began another blog carnival, the Kosher Cooking Carnival when a post I had submitted to a general blog carnival had been rejected, because that week/month they were only accepting those for ham. KCC is a monthly carnival which is supposed to appear around Rosh Chodesh. It, too, has lost its following, or food bloggers aren't interested in the community of a blog carnival. I've been combining it with Havel Havelim.

I'm not calling it quits. I think I'll just do periodic posts which are links from other Jewish blogs about everything, including the kitchen sink. And if you'd like to be included or see a post that should be included about any Jewish or Israeli issues, including kosher recipes and reviews of kosher restaurants and cookbooks, please send them to me, thanks.

No comments: