Saturday, December 12, 2015

Chanukah, 5776, 2015, Day #6, My Makeshift Chanukiya

Lighting a chanukiyah (Chanuka Menora) on the sixth night of Chanukah this year proved to be a challenge. I wasn't home the usual lighting time, and I wouldn't be in anyone's home until midnight or later. I had been thinking of at least watching the lighting at work in Sha'ar Binyamin, but there wasn't an announcement, so by the time I realized someone was lighting the giant chanukiyah it was too late for me to ask someone to relieve me in the shoe store and go out to be there.

I did come prepared with seven "tealights," but I didn't really have a plan. I thought about lighting near the official one at the entrance to Rami Levy, but I had a feeling that wouldn't work out, and I ended up leaving in a rush to catch a surprise ride. Thursday night was another football game for the Jerusalem "Big Blue" Lions in Mishor Adumim.

Once I got there I began scouting a suitable place to light and asked the team's coach (my son) if there would be a public lighting. He wasn't sure and had other things on his mind. So I looked around and realized that the bleacher area was all cement and should be safe for my makeshift chanukiyah.

So, while the Lions warmed up, and some local kids practiced soccer --the field is enormous!-- I set up my little chanukiyah. First I found a nice flat stone, or was it a piece of flour tile, to raise the shammash, and then I very gingerly said the proper blessings and lit them.


I stood close by to protect them from the breeze for about a minute, and then I slowly moved away.


Amazingly, they stayed lit for most of the game.


And I wonder how many people noticed them and could have guessed who lit that Chanukiyah....


And are you wondering which team won?


It was the other team, but it was close and the Lions fought hard.

No comments: